Monday, January 14, 2013

diversity or split personality disorder?

Diversify-
(Verb)
  1. Make or become more diverse or varied.
  2. (of a company) Enlarge or vary its range of products or field of operation.
In my line of work, I have found it necessary to diversify. It has enabled me to stay in the business and contribute in many ways. But it can also be a double edged sword.

Being diverse, able to do many jobs, can sometimes leave you with a feeling of having a split-personality disorder.
While it is good to have skills to tap into the well when other areas are dry,  it can make it difficult to focus when it comes to feeding your own creative soul.

My apartment looks like a clutter of unfinished projects.
Paintings, sketches, many scraps of paper with writing, musical instruments, a desk in desperate need of a clean-off...
I wander from room to room, wearing different hats. Sadly not one of them belongs to a housekeeper.

my apartment resembles my brain


Right now I am in writer mode.
Or at least, I'm trying to be.
There is a book of short stories pressing to be finished. 
Like a person with a split-personality disorder, I want all the alters to be quiet, and let this personality emerge. It is not easy to have this control. It comes and goes in fits of inspiration. But to take on the writer personality, I must think like one. Be one. Believe I am one. It's a small part to the process, but an important one nonetheless. And not as easy as it sounds, especially when all those other voices want to be heard.

Perhaps this diversifying has made me a bit afraid of labels and titles.
I feel  somehow fraudulent in saying I am a writer, simply because I do not write exclusively. True, I have published articles in magazines, newspapers and online, but claiming to be a writer seems to diminish those who have made it their life's work.

Writing has always been in me.
Since I could put pencil to scribbler, I had stories.
Verses, prose, commentary- I kept them all hidden, as the secretive Scorpio child that I was.
In high school, to combat my  record of skipping classes, my English teacher gave me the opportunity to make extra credit by turning in creative writing. The name Margaret Young will forever be held like a beacon of light in my eyes and heart and mind. I was blessed to have had her in the 10th and 12th grades.
She also introduced me to Sylvia Plath (my birthday-twin), Margaret Atwood, Margaret Lawrence, Leonard Cohen, Dylan Thomas (my other birthday twin), as well as the old guard, Shakespeare, Keats, Chaucer, Austin, Bronte.
Of reading and writing and 'rithmatic, reading and writing were never a problem.

Now I sit, trying to channel those who came before, those for whom writing became an obsession, an eaux de vie.
I focus on the keyboard and the screen, trying not to let my gaze wander over the the unfinished painting in the corner, or the folder of photographs that need to be edited or the emails that should be addressed.
I will not look at the clock and think of all the other things that should be done. Right now, I try to be less diverse.
I will think only of characters and word counts and a beginning, middle and ending.

After all, this is what writers do.
And I am a writer.

That's right. I said it.










No comments:

Post a Comment