Saturday, January 24, 2015

writing this to keep my head from exploding

Social media is a funny thing.

I've got a love-hate relationship going on with Facebook.
When I first joined, it was with the intention of connecting with family and close friends, to share pictures, to keep an eye on growing children and milestones of those I love. It was a way to stay in touch.

I had friend requests from aquaintances and from people I didn't know at all.
I politely declined. I just didn't want people to have access to my life.
But then it became necessary for work, as certain notices are posted to Facebook. So I started allowing aquaintances. In a lot of ways, it has been great, allowing me to get to know them better through their postings. Some people I started to allow because we had many mutual friends and it seemed rude not to accept.

So, in the world of social media, as it is in the real world,  there are many different people with many different beliefs and ideas. Some I find interesting, some not, and some I disagree with wholeheartedly. But there are filters, so I can choose to keep people on my friend's list and just not have them appear in my news feed. Rarely do I show people the ol' Facebook door. But I did today.

For the most part, I try to keep my posts light.
There is no need for me to air my linens in cyber public. That is my choice, and everyone is inclined to put out whatever they like.  I may not agree, I may not believe, but I do respect. To a point.
When it comes to predjudice, bigotry and hatred, I have to pull the plug.

One thing I will post are things I believe are important- usually stories from Amnesty or ones that have caught my attention that I feel need to have more attention. That's a great thing about social media- getting the message across the planet. There are causes about which I am very passionate and so I share posts and petitions that will help animals, or that show injustice or denial of Human Rights. I will stand up every time against persecution by racism, sexism, and homophobia.

So here's the point.
Yesterday I posted a story about homophobic actions perpetrated in the name of Christianity. Last night I received a message from an acquaintance who is "Christian". I put the word "Christian" in quotation marks because their actions are nowhere near the definition.

Chris·tian
ˈkrisCHən/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of, relating to, or professing Christianity or its teachings.
    "the Christian Church"
    -having or showing qualities associated with Christians, especially those of decency, kindness, and fairness.
She told me that I shouldn't post so many things in support "the gays agenda" as people would think that I was gay too.

My initial response was Go Fuck Yourself.
Then I erased it.

I started again. I wanted to be calm but clear.
"Dear hateful hypocrite..."
Nope. Not effective.
Backspace backspace backspace.
Breathe.
"First of all, if someone things I'm gay or straight is of no consequence to me. Being gay is not a bad thing. It's the same as being accused of being a human.  It just is. Love is never wrong. But I will not stand for hatred or persecution of any kind. I have many friends who are gay, lesbian, transgendered, straight. I also have friends who are black, brown, yellow, white. Some are Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Pagan, Atheist and Christian. I love them because they are kind, decent people. If they weren't, they wouldn't be my friends. You may want to look up the definition of Christianity before you bastardize it further."

Her response was to send me bible verse upon bible verse. 
Once again I had to delete my impulsive reply and start again. Twice.

"We could toss chapter and verse around for days. "Judge not.. " "the least of my brothers".. and the usual.. But I have learned that it is a waste of breath and time to argue with someone who lives in hate. To live in hate is to be angry. To be angry is to be fearful. To be fearful is to be aggressive. To be aggressive is to be hurtful. And I'm not interested in anyone who wants to cause hurt and harm to another.
I am not Christian but I do know that the teachings of Christ come down to Love One Another. If your god is so great and powerful, he doesn't need you to defend him. Why don't you try living your life and let others do the same?
 And by the way, I'm not sure what you mean by "gay agenda". The only "gay agenda" I know is to be fabulous. "

I also attached this graphic

Perhaps I was foolish to expect that this was the end of it. But the next note came, explaining her duty to bring the word of god and the light of Christ to those poor souls who will otherwise be condemned to the fires hell.
It was time to stop giving this any more attention. 

"I'm not sure why you requested me as a friend on Facebook. We have nothing in common but a few friends. Your ideals are as offensive to me as mine are to you, so let's call it a day. I will remove you from my friend list and save us both the head exploding rage of future posts. I have no interest in engaging in a debate with a brick wall, and I'm sure you have a cross you could be burning on somebody's lawn."
And that is the beauty of social media; the ability to make someone disappear. 
 Seriously.

I love Mankind.
I just have trouble with individuals.




No comments:

Post a Comment